DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Community Review Round 1

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 15:13:20 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 11 December 2019 at 14:59:27 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> [snip]
> Yes, I no longer use % in Python. It is baggage. I either use
> format or f"…".
>
> A good reason to aim for modern Python is that newbies will
> know it. Python is taught in universities... It will look
> familiar to the next batch of programmers.

Please see my reply above to bachmeier on Python's format strings
versus Scala's.

Because of the formatting options, I wouldn't lean too heavily on
Python's syntax. I think we should look to what other languages
do, but ultimately do what is right for D and consistent with the
language that is already there.