D enters Tiobe top 20

Jeff jeff at mail33.org
Thu Dec 12 02:26:57 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 10 December 2019 at 13:27:04 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 December 2019 at 10:04:17 UTC, Martin
> Tschierschke wrote:
>> Any comment on this curve?
>> Is it possible to match certain events to this shape?
>
> More interesting curve to discuss:
>
> https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=dlang
>
> Basically no change over the past 5-6 years for active people
> searching for "dlang".

I never understood why people here seem to think that D is more
popular? If D is more popular, you will see it reflected in a
very key core component. All you need to do is look up
code.dlang.org its growth and you see that D has the same growth
as before. You can even track it on websites like
www.modulecounts.com where its growth is the same slow 1 package
/ day, over the 3 years.

No spikes, no sudden growth change ... You expect with a increase
in downloads ( d statistic ), blogs, increased marketing that a
increased interests results in a growth spike ( like other
languages ). But it does not. What does it tell you? People try
D, they discus D but a lot simply do not progress beyond trying D.

D is not some magically language where all users do not
contribute or make missing modules.

Just compare the package growth of Rust or Julia or ... That is
what a surge in popularity will look like.

Maybe compared to 10 years ago D is more popular, but when your
looking at a ultra low bar, its easy to feel that your doing
good. Tiobe has been fairly unreliable for years by checking
google results. The more non-unique a programming language there
name, the more the results are unpredictable. Last year Crystal
was at 38 because ... crystal + programming = not the programming
language. Yikes!

Even Swift / Objective-C results are nonsense because they are
the same market. Yet now both results 75% are bigger, then the
actual original Objective-C market share. Past legacy results
keep Object-C at a higher position resulting a wrong impression.

A better metric has always been: Jobs posting, Github/Gitlab,
module/package gains etc. Show me the D jobs? In Europe there are
none. Modules growth is the same as it was 3 years ago ( turtle
speed ).

In essence while D has been on a charm offense, if one looks at
the data. Its clear that D may have people trying out D (
increased in downloads of D ) but this is not reflected in actual
contributors to D. Even if new D users are very selfish to not
contribute, they can not be all 100% selfish. Even a 10% gain,
with a increased in users, will reflect back in projects,
modules, contributions etc. Yet, its not.

So the essence is that D has a issue keeping those new users
interested beyond trying it out. This is something that i feel is
ignored in a lot of these conversations.