opMixin or mixin function templates with convenience operator?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Thu Dec 12 17:59:25 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 12 December 2019 at 17:19:35 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Wut...?!  The primary reason I'm using D is *because* of
> metaprogramming features.  It's one of the things about D that
> stands out above other languages and differentiates it from
> them.  For me, it's one of the important things that make it
> worth using D in spite of whatever other flaws D may have.

You're not the average programmer considering using D. You've got
years of experience with D, and probably C and C++ as well.
Metaprogramming has its place. You can definitely overdo it
though, making your code hard to read and driving folks to other
languages. Take a look at the use of templates. Do they have a
place? Sure. But one person after another also complains about
the difficult of learning the standard library because of the
incredible overhead.

I feel I have to keep bringing this up, because at least around
here, there are very few concerns for new users that just want to
write code.