Is code.dlang.org down?

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Mon Dec 16 09:35:46 UTC 2019

On Monday, 16 December 2019 at 07:35:11 UTC, Soulsbane wrote:
> I can't [...] build my program.

It started yesterday: https://stats.uptimerobot.com/6mQX4Crw2L

You can try `dub build --registry=https://dub.bytecraft.nl`, it
will still work when the registry is down, but it does depend on
the metadata. So if that is down as well, you are out of luck.

This situation is quite damaging. We just can't have uptime be
lower than triple 9's.

I don't have much time currently, but it is something I want to
work on in 2020.

The way I see it we should redesign dub package resolution so it
does not depend on a self-hosted application in someone's
basement.

I suggest to put all metadata in git and push to
gitlab/github/bitbucket (for redundancy) and have dub clone that
to resolve versions. The updating of packages can be done with
cloud functions triggered by gitlab/github/bitbucket webhooks
(with the added benefit that a version is updated near real-time).

As I have shown in my registry-mirror, once you have the metadata
you can simply fetch from gitlab/github archives directly. (Don't
know about bitbucket or the other repos available in dub
(maven?), but they should follow suit).