DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Community Review Round 1

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 22:02:05 UTC 2019

On 12/11/19 4:52 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community Review for
> DIP 1027, "String Interpolation":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/148001a963f5d6e090bb6beef5caf9854372d0bc/DIPs/DIP1027.md
>

> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should occur in
> this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET on December 25,
> or when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary, the DIP
> will be scheduled for another round of Community Review. Otherwise, it
> will be queued for the Final Review and Formal Assessment.
>
> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected to be
> familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> *Please stay on topic!*
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.

Might I suggest we come up with a new name for this technique? I see
there is going to be a lot of users who want true string interpolation,
e.g.:

string str = i"My name is $name";

and be very confused that D string interpolation isn't like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_interpolation

Maybe something like "format tuple expansion" or "formatted interpolation"?

-Steve