DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Community Review Round 1

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Dec 17 08:59:49 UTC 2019

On Monday, 16 December 2019 at 22:12:37 UTC, mipri wrote:

> Programming language terminology is so random already that
> this isn't going to help. Perl has 'hashes' and Python has
> 'dicts' and other languages have 'maps', but when I read about
> AAs in D I just said "oh, hash tables" and mentally translated
> all references from then on. People are going to do exactly the
> same thing to "tuple expansion strings" and still complain that
> "string interpolation in D" doesn't work as they expect.

I think the name "associative array" is pretty good because I
think it's the most generic name. "hash" or "hash table" has the
indication that the implementation uses hashes. Funny thing, in
Ruby it's called "hashes" as well, the class is even called
"Hash". Prior to Ruby 1.9 it was implement has an actual hash
table. In Ruby 1.9 they change the implementation to guarantee
the order of the keys. That means that it cannot be implement as
a hash table anymore. It still uses the name "Hash" though.

--
/Jacob Carlborg