issue 7006 - std.math.pow (integral, integral) crashes on negative exponents

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Tue Dec 17 12:40:10 UTC 2019

On 16.12.19 13:25, Johannes Loher wrote:
> I admit that Timon’s explanations sounded a bit harsh

I reported an obvious issue. It's really a no-brainer, but some people
somehow feel the need to intervene and argue in favour of the trivially
wrong behavior (this is an issue of basic arithmetic), calling my
precious code nonsensical or trying to argue that I must not be aware
that built-in integer types have finite precision, etc.

I think a bit of harshness is well-justified, as if those people had
spent just 5 to 10 minutes actually thinking, they wouldn't find
themselves on the wrong side of this argument and wouldn't feel the need
to further defend an opinion born out of some strange irrational bias.