DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Community Review Round 1

Alexandru Ermicioi alexandru.ermicioi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 14:19:32 UTC 2019

On Monday, 16 December 2019 at 09:34:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/15/2019 2:33 AM, Alexandru Ermicioi wrote:
>> On Sunday, 15 December 2019 at 04:20:59 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> object.d is getting more and more bloated over time. This is
>>> not a solution to imports, and is not a good trend.
>>
>> A bit other topic, but this can be fixed by splitting object.d
>> in multiple modules in same package, and auto import that
>> package, just like how it is done in java with java.lang
>> package.
>>
>> For example, object.d could be split into several modules
>> under d.lang package.
>>
>> This will also clean existing bloatware, since we could move
>> typeinfo, object definition and other stuff into separated
>> modules.
>
> The reality is that compilation time is more proportional to
> the number of files than the size of the files. Splitting up
> object.d into multiple modules that must still be loaded will
> make things slower.

I doubt someone will complain, about splitting object module into
smaller packages based on performance reasons, and certainly
splitting object.d won't trigger tens of files now. Though as
said before it will increase readability. I personally can live
with few more miliseconds for compilation time if readability is
increased in druntime/phobos.

Best regards,
Alexandru.