DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Community Review Round 1

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 18:43:09 UTC 2019

On 12/17/19 1:17 PM, Meta wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 at 17:31:05 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> This works pretty well, shows the filename/line numbers, and
>> reevaluates the log message each time.
>>
>> Another cool use case.
>>
> This got me excited, but unfortunately it doesn't work with expressions
> (for obvious reasons):
>
> // Error: variable apples cannot be read at compile time
> alias msg = AliasSeq!("%s apples and %s bananas makes %s fruit", apples,
> bananas, apples + bananas);

Right, the alias has to be a symbol or a constant. Though you could
technically put in a lambda. I don't know if the log/writef would
support that.

This doesn't mean it's not useful if it can only be a symbol, I predict
even without string interpolation, my printf debugging that I generally
use is going to be enhanced with this idea.

-Steve