issue 7006 - std.math.pow (integral, integral) crashes on negative exponents

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed Dec 18 03:29:17 UTC 2019

On 18.12.19 03:58, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 18.12.19 03:44, Timon Gehr wrote:

>>> Reviewing this page, this does not appear to be the case either:
>>> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/fenv/FE_round
>>>
>>> So I guess I still don't understand why you think an implementation
>>> could return an arbitrary value.
>>
>> The following simple test that would have been able to refute my
>> interpretation of the standard failed to do so:

Ok, I found a case where glibc++ computes a wrong result:

#include <cmath>
#include <cfenv>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(){
     #pragma STDC FENV_ACCESS ON
     double x=193513.887169782;
     double y=44414.97148164646;
     fesetround(FE_DOWNWARD);
     double r1=atan2(y,x);
     fesetround(FE_UPWARD);
     double r2=atan2(y,x);
     cout<<*(unsigned long long*)&r1<<endl; // 4597296506280443981
     cout<<*(unsigned long long*)&r2<<endl; // 4597296506280443981
}

If I use `long double` instead for intermediate calculations, the upper
bound is the correct 4597296506280443982. So I guess the C++ standard
(like IEEE floating point) does not require exact rounding for some
transcendental functions, most likely including pow. Unfortunately, I
haven't found any details about precision requirements for C++ floating
point library functions using a cursory Google search, so it may indeed
be the case that there are absolutely none. Do you have any source that
says as much?