Downloading Latest D Language DMD compiler via Windows 10 batch script file.

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Thu Dec 19 20:01:37 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 19 December 2019 at 09:43:17 UTC, JN wrote:
> The most common way nowadays for installing compilers seems to
> be curl | sh solution. Languages such as Crystal, Rust and Nim
> are using it. For Windows equivalent PowerShell solution could
> be used.

Urgh. Piping a random shell script from the dregs of the
interwebs into a local shell (possibly even a root shell) is
about the worst security malpractice that is perpetuated these
days with "installers" like this.

I mean, we tell the more illiterate users to not click on random
email attachments, not to trust VBA macros in Word files
addressed to them, etc.. and then we're telling ourselves that
it's OK to run random scripts sight unseen? Somebody probably
needs to hack or MITM a couple of these web servers to drive the
point home, I guess... :-(

At least give instructions that have users download the script to
a temporary file. That will encourage at least some of them to
review the script before running it.