Range of enum type values

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Dec 27 14:12:39 UTC 2019

They are @safe. You can't have UB in @safe code.

> like for normal signed integers?

Signed integers have wraparound semantics.
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/n23bo3$qe$1@digitalmars.com

The spec mentions this for AddExpressions (but the example only shows it
for uint): https://dlang.org/spec/expression.html
"If both operands are of integral types and an overflow or underflow
occurs in the computation, wrapping will happen."

There simply _can't_ be any UB in signed integer operations, as they are
considered @safe.

> - Should we limit the range of valid values of the Flags enum (C++
> defines valid range to be [0..7])?
> - Do we want to limit operations allowed on enum types? Or change the
> result type? (e.g. the type of `Flags + Flags` is `int` instead of `Flags`.

I see those options:

1. The valid range is the full range of the underlying type (as DMD
treats it now).

2. The range is [1..4]. In this case, the operations have to promote
their operands to the enum base type, and most casts to enum types must
be @system.

3. The range is [0..7]. In this case, only operations that preserve this
range (such as bitwise operators) should yield the enum type, and other
operations should promote their operands to the enum base type, and most
casts to enum types must be @system.

Personally, I think 2 makes most sense (especially with `final switch`,
as the current semantics forces compilers to insert default cases
there), but this would be a breaking language change.