OFF TOPIC Re: Range of enum type values

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Dec 28 21:08:06 UTC 2019

On 12/28/2019 12:22 PM, Johan Engelen wrote:
> You are saying: the spec says @safe means no UB, and if the spec doesn't say it
> then it simply needs updating. There are a number of text pieces that say that.
>
> I am saying: regardless of what the spec and any of those articles promise,
> current D behavior is that @safe _can_ have UB in it.
>
> I know most people don't like to hear it nor acknowledge it. But I think it is
> better to be realistic about this. `@safe` currently does _not_ mean the code is
> super safe.

What it does mean is that all instances of #safe resulting in #undefinedBehavior
should be logged either in bugzilla or noted as an exception in the #specification.

Note that there's a bugzilla keyword 'safe' which can tag them. Here's the
current set of open tagged issues:

https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&keywords=safe&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=208819&query_format=advanced