Convenient debug printing

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 23:50:04 UTC 2019

On Friday, 1 February 2019 at 21:40:29 UTC, Meta wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Meaning no offense to Walter, his recent statements on the AST
> macros makes me think that he is mistaking what Jacob has
> proposed before (Lisp or Rust-style hygienic AST macros) for
> C-style text macros (which are, of course, supremely terrible).
>
> His main argument, about not wanting people to be able to
> invent their own syntax and encourage fragmentation within the
> language community, does not ring true. All you have to do is
> look at Rust to see that it is possible to support a limited
> form of AST macro without any adverse effects.

In general, the rvalue DIP makes pretty clear that Walter and
Andrei have a high bar for the quality of a DIP, particularly one
that could have a big impact on the language. I don't think the
old AST macro DIP is probably up to the standard that would be
needed at this point regardless. It would need a re-work and
definitely need to be written from the perspective of convincing
W&A, which is a pretty high hurdle given their biases.

Two of the interesting things about AST macros to me are 1) that
it seems pretty straightforward to implement C++'s metaclass
proposal using them, 2) not only could a lot of D's other
features like foreach be written in terms of them but a lot of
the attributes could too. This could enable a lot of
customization, which could be good or bad...