The issue with D...

Rubn where at is.this
Sun Feb 3 14:47:37 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 3 February 2019 at 11:30:34 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 February 2019 at 09:23:59 UTC, rikki cattermole
> wrote:
>> On 03/02/2019 10:12 PM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>>> Using -m32 by default on Windows, while -m64 is the default
>>> on Linux and MacOSX, needlessly breaks that cross-platform
>>> promise, and thus creates compilation problems that could
>>> easily have been avoided by using a consistent behavior
>>> across platforms.
>>
>> Keep in mind we are going to be dropping (if I remember
>> correctly) 32-bit support for OSX. So its not quite as simple
>> as the above posts may suggest.
>>
>> Every platform is different, both in hardware in use and in
>> the OS in question. Defaults for targets may not make sense
>> everywhere.
>
> I agree, but IMO this is one more reason to use 64 bit as the
> new Windows default.
>
> There will always be old PCs running on 32 bit OS, but many
> statistics corroborate the fact that most Windows users have
> now switched to the 64 bit version.
>
> That's especially true for PC gamers, if you simply look at the
> Steam statistics :
>
> https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
> (click on OS Version)

0.93% have cpus with only 1 core in it. Really shows how people
just hold on to their CPU. Would be interesting to see what CPUs
are 32-bit and 64-bit Vs. the OS that are 32-bit, but they don't
provide that information for CPUs.

It's kind of funny there is someone that would argue that the
Windows version of DMD should target 32-bit. This is why Windows
is so horrible, people that don't understand or care about the
platform making decisions for it. What makes more sense is for
the default to be based on the host's OS version, like what LDC
does. Doesn't make sense to compile 64-bit on a 32-bit OS as you
won't be able to run the program. Which is probably what most
people are going to try to do.