The issue with D...

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Thu Feb 7 11:51:37 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 7 February 2019 at 08:26:50 UTC, Ecstatic Coder
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 at 10:47:36 UTC, Laurent Tréguier
> wrote:
>> On Monday, 4 February 2019 at 23:28:51 UTC, Ben wrote:
>>> 1. That is a ... Tatum ... LINUX EXAMPLE, so its already not
>>> platform agnostic path.
>>> 2. You think that running a hashbang example is a good
>>> introduction to end users?
>>> 3. People lean the wrong way and are bypassing the dub
>>> package manager
>>>
>>> Let me compare to a few languages:
>>>
>>> Go: import ( "net/http" ) ...
>>>
>>> Ready, set, go ...
>>>
>>> Crystal: require "http/server"
>>>
>>> Ready, set, go ...
>>
>> My 2 cents:
>> The comparison cith Go holds, but comparing D with Crystal is
>> invalid if you are talking about Windows issues; since Crystal
>> isn't natively available on Windows.
>
> Indeed, but the problem remains.
>
> Using D for server and GUI development should appear easy and
> natural.
>
> The current vibe.d examples isn't conveying that, with all its
> "black magic" comments.
>
> Contrarily to what D's "leadership" thinks, D has the potential
> to become a very good competitor to Go and Crystal for server
> development, as both of them are also performant garbage
> collected languages.
>
> And with dlangui, developing connected desktop application is a
> real pleasure.
>
> D should be promoted for what it does best, and should how
> complex application can be made easily and efficiently with
> simple code.

 From your post I am not sure whether you know the purpose of the
comments in the vibe.d example.

The dub.sdl comment is a dub single package descriptor. You can
save the lines to a file example.d and run it with command: dub
example.d

With latest dub you can even save the file without the extension
.d and if you are on a Linux system you can execute it just with
command: ./example. That this the purpose of the shebang line.

I would not describe it as black magic but as very convenient way
of calling D coding.
Vibe.d does here a very good job and just leverage features of
posix os and features of the dub package manager.

Kind regards
Andre