The issue with D...

Jordan Wilson wilsonjord at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:02:12 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 7 February 2019 at 21:47:07 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 09:27:47PM +0000, Jordan Wilson via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> [...]
> [...]
>> > [...]
> [...]
>> [...]
> [...]
>
> I think his point is that whatever effect is triggered by the
> dub comment should be made the *default* behaviour, such that
> you don't need to type out any of it explicitly and the
> compiler/toolchain/whatever will just Do It(tm), whatever It
> may be.  The current default is that it will not work if the
> dub comment isn't there.  His argument is that this default
> should be changed so that it *does* work.  In theory, dub
> "should" be able to detect the "import vibe.d" line and from
> there figure out what to do "automatically".
>
> I'm unsure whether I agree with him, though.  In order to pull
> this off, dub will have to implement heuristics for detecting
> VibeD imports and somehow map that to the requisite vibe-d
> dependency declaration.  I'm uncertain I'm entirely comfortable
> with this kind of IMO hackish implementation that may end up
> interacting badly with other things once you get beyond trivial
> projects.
>
> But regardless, he certainly has a point in making things work
> out-of-the-box with minimal effort, even if we may disagree on
> just how minimal this minimal effort should be.  Not everyone
> is a masochistic programmer like myself who would shun such
> niceties and prefer manually compiling and linking stuff on the
> command-line. (This is why it'd probably be a bad idea to put
> me on the marketing / UI design team. :-P)

Ah I see.

I pretty much started using dub because I was sick of manually
dealing with includes/libs from within my previous IDE, and
thought the ability to simply put dependency "vibe-d"
version="~>0.8.4" in my project and be done was great; the
thought of even more automagic convenience didn't even occur to
me!

Jordan