templating opEquals/opCmp (e.g. for DSL/expression templates)

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:09:19 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 at 23:24:54 UTC, Olivier FAURE wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 at 13:22:12 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
> wrote:
>> Oh well, more things to discuss at dconf. That whole thread
>> seems to be Walter either being stubborn or not getting it (or
>> both).
>
> Or your proposal has drawbacks you're underestimating.

... go on. I don't see any drawbacks: its backwards compatible,
intuitive (behaves like opBinary), useful. We should be making
design decisions based on merit, not dismissing them not
potential for abuse.

> This community really needs to stop defaulting to "We could
> totally use my awesome feature if Walter wasn't so stubborn"
> whenever discussing language changes.

Its because he always seems to do that:
     1) extern(C++, "strings")
     2) extern-std=c++nn
     3) dip1000(!) because the documentation is frankly not up to
scratch.
     4) extern(C++) T[]
     5) dip1015

wherein
     1) he finally capitulated
     2) a (not particularly satisfactory) compromise was reached
     3) I _finally_ got him to update the spec. The docs are still
shit.
     4) He believed that people want a std::vector interface (fair
enough), but has has not responded since when it was pointed out
that the interface is compatible with std::vector under C++'s
implicit conversions
     5) fully 100% of the community thought the outcome of that
DIP is wrong and that his reasoning is flawed.

Its a real pain working with him when he doesn't like what you're
doing, and frankly needs to change. Sometimes he has good
insight, but more and more I feel that he acts more like a
gatekeeper and less like a leader.