dmd -run fails with Nix on macOS Mojave

Thomas Mader thomas.mader at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 20:32:32 UTC 2019

On macOS Mojave dmd built with Nix can not be used with the -run
parameter.

dmd -run hello.d
/var/tmp/dmd_runNVSCJp: Permission denied
core.thread.ThreadError at core/thread.d(3206): Unable to load
thread state

A normal compile and run works and it used to work before I
upgraded to Mojave.
I checked the official dmd binary for macOS and everything works
there.
It seems to be a problem with Nix in connection with Mojave.

I came here to ask for hints.

It's dmd 2.084.1 and the line number of the ThreadError is not
right. I don't know why.

I don't know what the compiler wants to write to
/var/tmp/dmd_runNVSCJp and why that fails with a Permission
denied.