The DIP Process

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:45:40 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 18:22:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> This is the case for all relevant submission processes I know
> of - conferences, journals, programming languages. A process of
> shepherding/assistance is not unheard of, but exceptionally
> rare.

In my fields (medicine and genomics), it is extremely common that
high impact journals offer a pre-review/estimate of suitability
to authors prior to submission.

For example, one does not typically submit to NEJM or Nature
without discussing with an editor first.

> Until we have an army of competent reviewers, we can't consider
> this.

Extending this analogy, these reviews are typically done by
associate editor.