The DIP Process

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Feb 26 22:02:21 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 20:09:31 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
> I am not at all describing “case reports,” and your thoughtless
> dismissal of earnest feedback/suggestion really underlines the
> criticisms others have leveled against you specifically, and
> perhaps the process generally.

Even if one is talking full blown research papers, though, there
is an important difference: if a seriously flawed research paper
gets published, whatever the field, it is generally very unlikely
that it will have any meaningful consequences.  The infamous
exceptions don't exclude the fact that most research papers of
any kind, correct or not, vanish with little real impact.

On the other hand when one compares to the process for getting
new drugs approved for use (where any mistake can have VERY
serious impacts on human health), it's a much longer, more
time-consuming and involved process, spanning many years.  Given
the fact that a problematic change to the D language or core
libraries can cause a lot of pain for established users, the
process needed for DIPs is inevitably going to err on the more
stringent and inclined to reject side of things.

That's not to say that there isn't some merit in getting earlier
feedback from those with veto power, but the trouble is, the real
merit of an idea often isn't clear until the hard work has been
done, and in any case, it's quite possible that people will react
to early rejection by just feeling they need to add more detail
and putting the work in on a full DIP in any case.