The DIP Process

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:02:44 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 at 04:12:31 UTC, Jordan Wilson
wrote:

> Step 3: The language maintainers perform a *pre-review*

I'll say that personally, and I stress *personally*, I have no
problem with this on the surface. It would need to be understood
by everyone that if we did implement this step, no feedback from
Walter and/or Andrei at this stage would mean approval is
guaranteed.

We do have to take into consideration the amount of time it will
add to an already lengthy process. Consider that this could
potentially add even more work for the author (not to mention the
rest of us involved in the process) with no guarantee that the
DIP will be accepted. I don't know if that would actually be an
improvement.

However, IMO, it would be more fruitful if we could start looking
for volunteers to act as "advisers" to DIP authors throughout the
process. This could potentially provide more focus on revising
the DIP based on technical merit without the pollution of
personal opinions, particularly if we could have, say, two or
three people doing it. Then by the time it gets to community
review it could be in much better shape than it otherwise would
have been.

The problem, as always, is getting people to fill the role. The
more involvement we require from Walter and Andrei in the
process, the less time they have to spend on other tasks that
need doing.