Modern C++ Lamentations

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Jan 1 19:28:36 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 7:04:42 AM MST Rubn via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 at 11:57:26 UTC, kinke wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 at 09:44:40 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> >
> > wrote:

> >> For me I get comparable output with DMD and LDC
> >
> > You guys are most likely comparing apples to oranges - H. S.
> > using some distro-LDC preconfigured to link against shared
> > druntime/Phobos, while LDC usually defaults to the static libs.
>
> Druntime and Phobos can be used as shared libraries? What is this
> magical feature?
>
> -Windows User

LOL. Personally, it's a feature that I avoid like the plague, because I hate
it when my programs stop working just because I updated dmd (which would be
bad enough for a normal user, but it's particularly nasty when you're
frequently following master and making local changes, because you're working
on Phobos, druntime, and/or dmd). But yeah, when I saw the difference in
size that H.S. Teoh was seeing, my first thought was that one was probably
using Phobos as a shared library while the other was using it as a static
one.

- Jonathan M Davis