Time to start compiling with -dip25

Petar Petar
Wed Jan 2 19:20:41 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 at 18:38:57 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> [..]
>
> Let me add some data points to the discussion using Weka's
> complex codebase [1].
>
> To make compilation succeed with DIP25, I had to add `return`
> to a function or parameter 48 times. That's much less than I
> was expecting. I didn't encounter any problems otherwise (dlang
> 2.083.1 frontend).
>
> [..]

Hi Johan and happy new year :)

I don't know if you are aware, but I opened a pull request fixing
compilation with -dip25 a couple of days ago:
https://github.com/weka-io/mecca/pull/13

WekaIO's mecca being open-source and recongized as one of the
important projects for the community (its actual usefulness for
the company notwithstanding), and so being part of the list of
projects tested on BuildKite (aka the project tester), gives it a
chance to receive more attention from developers from the wider D
community.
I'm sure that internally Weka has a rigorous code review and
testing processes in place, perhaps not comparable to what a free
GitHub + CI service like Travis can provide, but I'd like to
suggest that people from the community can help the team as
sometimes we're aware of certain language changes months before
official releases, and can help you in upgrading to newer
compiler releases. (Not that we're in possession of some secret
information, on the contrary, but not always people on their day
job have enough time to keep track of happenings elsewhere.)
I know that upgrading to a new compiler release is a much more
involved process, but I believe we can help nonetheless.