Modern C++ Lamentations

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Thu Jan 3 19:26:23 UTC 2019

On 01.01.19 07:21, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/31/2018 2:28 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> Welcome to D, where 'enum' means 'const', 'const' means 'readonly',
>> 'lazy' means 'by name', 'assert' means 'assume' and 'real' does not
>> mean 'real' (in fact, I really like the 'ireal' and 'creal' keywords,
>> pity they are being phased out). :)
>
> D's "by name" are the template alias parameters.

I think alias parameters are not "by name" they are something like "by
symbol". ("by name" is a bit confusing of a name, the argument
expression need not really have a "name".)

The standard PL jargon is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluation_strategy#Call_by_name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_evaluation