DMD on WIndows 10

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Sat Jan 5 14:05:48 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 1 August 2015 at 04:25:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 22:02:13 UTC, Paul D Anderson wrote:
>> I'm waiting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to avoid
>> the inevitable just-released bugs, but does anyone have any
>> info about D on Windows 10? Has anyone tried it?
>
> We probably should have done more testing on it, but at least
> in theory, programs compiled on at least Windows 7 or 8 should
> work on 10. They haven't done as good a job with it in recent
> years, but backwards compatibility is kind of Microsoft's thing
> and part of why many folks use Windows.
>
> But regardless, if you find bugs in dmd or Phobos or anything
> of the sort which show up specifically on Windows 10, please
> report them: https://issues.dlang.org
>
>> p.s. Please don't tell me how much better your favorite
>> operating system is than Windows. Thank you. :)
>
> Wait, what if someone's favorite OS _was_ Windows. If they
> started talking about how much better Windows was than Windows,
> would that create some kind of paradox? ;)
>
> You know, it would be _really_ cool if there were an OS out
> there that was fully compliant with both the POSIX standard and
> ecosystem and the Win32 API such that you could run KDE, gnome,
> bash, zsh, etc. on it just like on Linux/FreeBSD/etc. _and_ run
> Windows programs on it - all as native applications. A total
> pipe dream really, but _man_ would that be cool...

Sarcasm or just that you didn't know about WSL (Windows subsystem
for Linux) on windows 10.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

It's supposed to be able to run Linux app natively on windows 10.
bash as shell and much more.

As for windows 10, I just got one of our new laptops at work (EU
Commission) with it, but because of the very restrictive IT
policies we have (no local admin, impossible to run uninstalled
exe's) I cannot tell if dmd or anything compiling exe's work.