core.traits?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Jan 5 22:04:07 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 09:49:58PM +0000, Seb via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 January 2019 at 21:12:54 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > So, druntime has core.internal.traits where a bunch of std.traits have
> > been mirrored to support internal machinery within druntime.
> > This is clear evidence that a lot of these traits are really
> > super-critical to doing basically anything interesting with D.
> > I have experience with no-phobos projects in the past where I've been
> > frustrated that I had to mirror all the traits I needed manually.
> >
> > [...]
>
> I would go even one step further and move everything and just alias things
> in std.traits, s.t. no breakage happens.

I concur!  We've been adding ugly nasty hacks to druntime, or writing
code in circumlocutous ways, for far too long now, all because certain
basic traits happen to be in std.traits and it's verboten to import
Phobos from druntime.  It's time to revisit that decision.  The more
complex traits should remain in Phobos in order not to complicate
druntime too much, but the basic ones needed also in druntime should
moved into druntime, instead of copy-pasta or roll-your-own in druntime.

It's amazing how careful choice of punctuation can leave you hanging: