What's the go with the GC these days?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jan 6 03:46:22 UTC 2019

On 1/5/2019 3:12 PM, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> The Boehm collector is more advanced than D's GC. It's (at least
> optionally) generational with write barriers.

Hmm, how does the Boehm collector insert write barriers?

Back in the 90's, I implemented a collector that did write barriers by setting
the page to read-only. When a write to it was executed, the resulting seg fault
was captured, the write was logged, and the page was set to read-write.

It was a fabulous idea, but the problem was it was SLOWER! The operating
system's dealing with seg faults and changing write permissions was execrably slow.