What's the go with the GC these days?

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:29:00 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 6 January 2019 at 09:40:25 UTC, Manu wrote:

> But now we have heaps of pointers... just that they have ugly
> names.
> Now we have std::unique_ptr<T>, std::shared_ptr<T>,
> std::auto_ptr<T>,
> std::weak_ptr<T>
> These are all just as equally 'multiple kinds of pointers' as
> `T^` was
> for ARC pointers, except they have hideous names, instead of a
> nice
> concise 1-byte syntax.

Not much to add to this discussion other than "Where's my ARC???"

But, the impression I got from digging around UWP code for
Quantum Break is that T^ is just syntactic sugar for a COM
pointer. So C++ Windows programmers have had different types of
pointers for much longer than C++11.

If Microsoft had just come out and said "They're COM pointers"
there'd have been far less gnashing of teeth.