What's the go with the GC these days?

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:13:18 UTC 2019

On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 17:18:49 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 15:54:32 UTC, welkam wrote:
>> For things to change we need to change minds. I have watched
>> many debates in religion, climate change and politics and saw
>> just how hard it is to change some people opinions. The best
>> hope is to target people in the middle that dont have strong
>> opinions one way or another and repeatedly expose to
>> information that shows that GC is not a problem.
>
> I think for many people (especially C++ folks which seem to be
> the main target of D leadership) the mere existence of GC is
> enough to turn them off. Here's a quote I found on Rust
> subreddit today:
>
> "I remember getting excited about D in 2002 exactly because it
> was supposed to be 'C++-improved' and then learning that D had
> GC which made it less 'C++-improved' and more 'Java-improved'.
> I switched to Rust exactly because I find it 'C++-improved'."
>
> The mere existence of GC instantly puts D into application
> programming language rather than systems programming language
> for most people. Are they correct? Debatable. However the
> mental barrier is there and it's hard to get through with a
> nice message.

Your sampling is bad. You pay attention to those who commented
and not the silent majority. People who dont have strong opinions
and open minded wont comment with such strong opinion on reddit
threads discoursing language merits. They just read them and
thats the people you can convince with solid arguments.