What's the go with the GC these days?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Jan 7 18:59:10 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-01-06 at 13:28 -0800, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> 1. Java has a very constrained interface to C, with a lot of rules to
> follow,
> mainly so the GC is not corrupted. D, being a systems programming language,
> simply does not have that luxury.

I understand that the Java language and its heap are very different from D, so
the context and constraints are different. I am assuming Go is the same,
though a priori I would think less different to D than Java. My concern (if it
can be called that) is that the JVM folk and the Go folk spend a lot of time
finding new and/or improved GC algorithms, whereas in D there appears to be no
movement from an old and simple GC.

> 2. Let me know when Java lets go of write barriers!

G1 GC certainly avoids write barriers whenever it can. I do not know the
details, but there are conference papers out there looking at avoiding write
barriers at all costs in the newer GC algorithms.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200