I'm blocked, help me!

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 06:28:16 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:09 PM Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 1/7/2019 7:33 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > I can't move forward with my extern(C++) work until we do something
> > about the build issues.
> >
> > I'm waiting/blocked on these patches:
> > https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/2442
> > https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/2446
> > https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/2444
> >
> > There appears to be one OSX build machine that fails due to an old
> > build environment (as I'm told).
> > Who are the people that have access to these machines?
>
> There are no build hosts in the auto-tester fleet that are running
> unsupported platforms.  If any of them are "too old" then we need to
> formally deprecate one or more platforms.

The platforms aren't too old, the compilers they run are.
All platforms are and will remain supported... I'm sure we can run the
code, we just can't *build* it.

> > std::array, and std::string_view can't be tested because the C++
> > toolchains are too old (don't all support C++11/14/17).
>
> Same issue, we support a wide variety of build platforms so the tests
> need to be conditional on what toolchains exist on the various platforms.

As far as I can tell, there's no machines at all in the fleet with
C++14 or C++17 era compilers.
How do you selectively deploy tests to specific build machines?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting, I need to run the tests on every
build platform we have in the list, but we also need a recent
toolchain on every platform to perform the builds.
The build tools and the targat platforms are separate entities. I want
to test on all platforms, but we need to build with more modern tools.

> > The toolchains are all out of date, and it's throwing up issues
> > constantly. How do we resolve this?
>
> By intelligently testing based on what is supported on those platforms
> or deprecating them.  The issues aren't the build fleet, it's trying to
> support newer stuff on older platforms where the support just isn't there.

There's no plan or intent to deprecate test platforms.
I intend to test on all of them... but how do I *build* the tests?