D import idiom compilation time

Johan Engelen j at j.nl
Tue Jan 8 14:40:47 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 8 January 2019 at 13:39:48 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 21:50:20 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> This is pretty awesome.
>>
>> Since the implementation would (initially at least) be
>> private, the presence of "from" in documentation would be
>> awkward. So I suggest the glorious hack:
>
> I am probably in minority here, or I am misunderstand the
> purpose of this feature, but wouldn't such stuff be better put
> somewhere around the compiler/frontend rather than in the
> library with compile-time magic?

FYI: at the end of last year Eyal (Weka) and Andrei (and me a
little bit) have been discussing lazy importing (full import) of
symbols by the compiler. We hope to have a student work on this.
Indeed I agree with you: the compiler could do (some of) this
stuff, and because the rewards seem large it makes sense to
indeed have the compiler do it.

-Johan