core.traits?

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 9 17:27:25 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 9 January 2019 at 12:31:13 UTC, Patrick Schluter
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 January 2019 at 11:49:40 UTC, Mike Franklin
> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> AVX512 concerns only a very small part of processors on the
> market (Skylake, Canon Lake and Cascade Lake). AMD will never
> implement it and the number of people upgrading to one of the
> lake cpus from some recent chip is also not that great.
> I don't see why not having it implemented yet is blocking
> anything. People who really need AVX512 performance will have
> implemented memcpy themselves already and for the others, they
> will have to wait a little bit. It's not as if it couldn't be
> added later. I really don't understand the problem.
> This said, another issue with memcpy that very often gets lost
> is that, because of the fancy benchmarking, its system
> performance cost is often wrongly assessed, and a lot of heroic
> efforts are put in optimizing big block transfers, while in
> reality it's mostly called on small (postblit) to medium
> blocks. Linus Torvalds had once a rant on that subject on
> realworldtech.
> https://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=168200&curpostid=168589

By reading (quiclkly) these articles:
-
https://lemire.me/blog/2018/04/19/by-how-much-does-avx-512-slow-down-your-cpu-a-first-experiment/
-
https://lemire.me/blog/2018/09/07/avx-512-when-and-how-to-use-these-new-instructions/

it seem that using avx512 can be good if you pin a thread to a
core in order to process only avx512 statement.