D support for GNOME Builder

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Jan 11 05:20:03 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-01-11 at 03:08 +0000, . . via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Something was posted on the forums a few years back about the
> GNOME Builder IDE (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Builder), and some
> people were talking about adding D support. Nothing really
> happened with it, but I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about
> it?
>
> Seeing D supported in GNOME Builder would be nice, because aside
> from D, Builder is a great general-purpose IDE for linux, much
> like XCode is to MacOS.

I have not tried GNOME Builder even though I spend much time writing GKT+
desktop programs. Anjuta was such a disappointment and annoyance that I
plumped for CLion and haven't tracked GNOME-oriented IDEs since.

As I understand it from the documentation, GNOME Builder plugins can be
written in C, Vala, or Python3. Though I think there might be a way of using
Rust via C linkage. This means there would be a possibility of using D to
write plugins especially as the critical resource is libpeas and GtkD has a
binding.

Clearly having D support in any and all editors and IDEs is a Good Thing™ but
I believe getting good D support into CLion will get more traction and benefit
for cost for D. Its all about whether CLion (and IntelliJ IDEA) has more users
likely to try D than GNOME Builder. C remains the main language around GNOME,
though clearly Vala should have the market share. However Rust is on the rise
in the GTK and GNOME milieu.

I am going to try and get stuck in to helping Samael et al. make IntelliJ-
DLanguage and IntelliJ-Dub work well with CLion (and IntelliJ IDEA). But if
there is an effort on GNOME Builder to get some D in and it doesn't detract
from the CLion effort, I'm up for it. Especially if the language of
implementation is Python3, Rust, or D.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200