newCTFE Status Janurary 2018

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 13 14:47:59 UTC 2019

Hi Guys,

I've just done a small refactoring which I have been putting off
for a while now.
It should greatly help with reducing ABI bugs, and it cuts the
dependencies between the DMD-dependent and the independent parts
of newCTFE.

Furthermore I fixed handling of 64bit values which where
truncated to 32bit in some cases.
I've found those while working on ctfe-able float-to-string
conversion.

However there are still many bugs which can crash newCTFE or even
worse, make it produce wrong output (most of those are related to
classes and vtbl-handling).

I expect it'll take me multiple full-time days to make
significant progress on the vtbl issues. Because first I'll have
to get debug-system into shape. It only really works if there is
just one function in the context being compiled, as virtual
functions by definition require multiple functions to live in the
compilation context, it makes the debug-system useless .... sigh.

Unfortunately my time budget is pretty tight this and the
following months as I am also preparing a Dconf presentation.

Let's see how far I can get during the next weekends.

Cheers,

Stefan