Named constructors

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:14:06 UTC 2019

On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 20:02:55 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2019-01-14 14:54, Atila Neves wrote:
>
>> I don't think that'd be useful for me. The only thing I care
>> about is the latency between hitting a key and having feedback
>> on my tests. It's rare that I have tests that would be
>> significantly faster by optimising the machine code running on
>> the CPU.
>
> I didn't mean to use a JIT to optimize the execution. I was
> more thinking of using LDC as a JIT to avoid having to
> implement your own interpreter. But the JIT might be too slow
> to compile the code.
>
> Hmm, can use use the CTFE interpreter in DMD? Hack that to use
> it for none CTFE stuff as well.

I tried that first - many of the declarations are private and it
was a pain to reuse the code. Then I started writing an
interpreter from scratch and realised very soon how much work
that would be.

I need to try and reuse the existing code again. I'm also not
sure how to deal with imported code from dependencies yet and am
a bit in analysis paralysis.