Bottom Type--Type Theory

Johannes Loher johannesloher at fg4f.de
Thu Jan 17 05:29:16 UTC 2019

Am 16.01.19 um 23:32 schrieb Walter Bright:
> My trouble explaining the immediate value of a bottom type stems from my
> poor knowledge of type theory. Other languages aren't necessarily good
> role models here, as few language designers seem to know much about type
> calculus, either. I was hoping that someone who does understand it would
> help out!

I do actually think there is a lot of value in a bottom type. The
problem is that–as you mention–nobody stepped up and helped you with the
DIP, although in the reviews there has been a lot of substantiated (and
constructive) critique by people who (judging from their comments) seem
to know more about type theory than you.

Maybe the proper way forward is to reject the DIP and the current form
and try again later once you got some help to bring it in proper shape?

As mentioned several times in this thread, there are quite a few other
severe problems with D's type system (e.g. the problems with void, which
H. S. Theo described). Maybe we should set up a working group (with at
least some people who know a bit more about type theory) to tackle these
problems (including a bottom type)?