Bottom Type--Type Theory

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 03:40:57 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 January 2019 at 09:24:26 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/16/2019 8:52 PM, Johannes Loher wrote:
>> In a later post, H. S. Theo describes some of the problems
>> with void in
>> more detail. What is your stance on actually fixing void from
>> a type
>> theoretical perspective? Do you think that is practical?
>
> Too much water under that bridge.

I suppose `bottom`, `top`, and `unit` types can be added to the
language while maintaining current `void` semantics.  Then, in
time, the uses of `void` masquerading as `bottom`, `top`, and
`unit` will diminish to a point where it wouldn't be all that
disruptive to deprecate it.  This just needs someone with the
skill and time to implement it, which is probably the real
blocker.

Mike