newCTFE a "funny" bug

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jan 30 22:42:13 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:00:34PM +0000, Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 at 17:53:27 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > "Complexity complex" sounds like an apt description of C++. :-D
> >
> > We may divide overall complexity by the number of cleanly-designed,
> > orthogonal features to get an estimate of the complexity each
> > language feature brings.  In the case of C++, I fear it may end up
> > being infinity.  :-P

> I would not go that far, infact as may warts an corner cases as C++
> has, it does go to heroic efforts to define the wired corner cases.
>
> D manages to put a weider runtime-library blanket over the complexity
> and the syntax is nicer.
> But in the end it's all there. I assume there's just because less
> people who peer under the blanket and write a blog-post.
[...]

Haha, well, I *have* seen some of the weird corner cases in D, and there
certainly are dark corners in the language that I avoid like the plague.
But overall, D lets me get the job done without shoving the weird corner
cases in my face all the time and forcing me to decide between equally
weird behaviours when I'm trying to focus on the problem domain. For the
most part, it does it right, and it gives you tools like built-in
unittests or alternative constructions to work around the problems that
do surface.

With C++, however, I feel like most of my mental effort is spent
wrestling with the language rather than getting work done in the problem
domain, which is a very frustrating feeling.

By understanding a machine-oriented language, the programmer will tend to use a much more efficient method; it is much closer to reality. -- D. Knuth