[OT] Re: DConf 2019

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jan 31 01:05:54 UTC 2019

On 1/30/19 6:16 PM, jmh530 wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 January 2019 at 22:00:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 1/30/2019 8:32 AM, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
>>> Everyone here has solved bigger problems than converting currencies.
>>
>> If I buy something in euros or pounds or whatever with my credit card,
>> I get billed in dollars. If my credit card was issued by a London
>> bank, I'm sure if I bought something denoted in dollars I'd be
>> automatically billed in pounds.
>>
>> This is normal for anyone who travels internationally and I do not
>> understand why it would be an issue.
>
> Unless you have a travel credit card, you will probably get hit by
> foreign transaction fees. For large sums of money, it can be a lot.

Many credit cards (in the US at least) advertise 0% foreign transaction
fees. The ones that do charge have fees around 3%. That's $9 for $400.
Not saying $9 is not something, but it's not a lot by comparison.

At any rate, I'll look into allowing people to use
https://pay.circle.com and https://transferwise.com to pay for their
ticket. We have accounts with both.