talks from IRC

Yatheendra 3df4 at gmail.ru
Tue Jul 9 04:50:25 UTC 2019

I so tried not to opine on this, but ... sigh, just too tempting.

My guess is that newbies who are otherwise getting by on C/C++,
understand the gems in D, and can both live with some
frustrations/limitations ... and accept that they aren't good
enough to be language designers who can know how to add a
feature. D maintainers would know it, but it seems to me that the
chasm between programming in D and developing D itself isn't as
big as in, say Rust or (gasp!) C++.

It is probably the "scripting crowd" (not being pejorative, I
script OK myself) that sees the ease of programming in D and can
think of many feature additions, which may just not jive with D's
underpinnings as a systems language (as an aside, the clamour for
maps in Erlang comes to mind). I guess discussions around struct
constructors, const, etc. are new to them.

Those core topics are vigorously argued in the forums by people
who have "crossed the chasm", early adopters who are heavily
invested in D intellectually, emotionally and even use it
professionally. Lurkers and newbies would have to realize that
these are "above their paygrade", so to speak.

But not drawing any conclusions from those discussions must be
difficult. I think such discussions could be in a new "Pro"
forum, so that people can see it for what it is (I hope the pros
aren't bashful to "tag" their discussions as such!). Or maybe
just discuss in some unnumbered DIP PR ...