using the compiler without GC

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Tue Jul 9 20:54:52 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 at 19:31:54 UTC, watcher wrote:
> Cheers, everybody!
>
> I was wondering when it will be possible to use the compiler
> without the gc?
>
> Thank you

 From your question it is unclear wheter you ask about the GC
during application runtime or during the compilation process of
your application.

I just assume you meant the GC during application runtime.
Depending on your scenario it is already possible to detect and
also avoid the GC.
But your question reminds me to the first rule of performance
optimization: Go for readable and easy code first, optimise only
if you can measure a performance issue.
In this context it means: very likely you never ever will face a
performance issue due to the GC. If you really face an issue, it
might be in 5 % of your application. D will provide you different
tools to control or even avoid GC here.

Beside that, the GC was improved in recent DMD version (parallel
execution) and also a fork based GC for posix system is on it's
way.

Kind regards
Andre