talks from IRC

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Jul 12 15:39:52 UTC 2019

On 07.07.19 16:25, a11e99z wrote:
> <ManTwo/2>    Hi - I'm an interested layperson occasionally
> procrastinating by reading discussions on the D forums.
> <ManOne/1>    fun
> <ManTwo/2>    To me the discussions frequently seem hostile

Emotions don't carry well over text messages. Also note that not
everyone shares the same sensibilities and it is good to have a certain
amount of tolerance for differing views and behaviors.

For example, while I don't get offended on the internet (because there
is no point), if I did, it would be over things like this:
https://github.com/pandas-dev/pandas/issues/9422

In that discussion, someone is given a link to a code of conduct that
doesn't even obviously apply, for writing a post on their area of
expertise in a style that is standard in their community.

> <ManTwo/2>    Would setting a better 'mood' for the discussion be
> beneficial to the community?

I don't think so, especially if it is attempted in a way that restricts
speech more vigorously than it is done now. As far as I know, we have
already lost productive contributors over forum moderation. (But I
wasn't around for it so there is no way for me to tell if it was
justified or not -- another drawback of deleting posts that are not
obviously spam.)

> If yes, how might we go about achieving it?

By participating in discussions and setting a good example for others to
follow.