discussions on the announce forum/list?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 06:35:12 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 16 July 2019 at 06:14:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/15/2019 8:04 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> On 7/15/2019 6:55 PM, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> But *please do not discuss the blog post or its topic in this
>>> thread*! Use the post in the Announce forum for that:
>>>
>>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/hetwxvibgqcmoltvnoda@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> Wait, what?  Why are we encouraging / having _discussions_ on
>> the _announce_ list?  I know we've never prevented them in the
>> past, but this is probably the first time I've seen active
>> encouragement.  While I'm not an particularly active member of
>> the community these days, I strongly disagree with this policy.
>
> It was mainly to avoid people having to read both threads.

To everyone discussing this aspect of my post: It's off topic!
Since I obviously was not clear in my intent, I'll refrain from
cutting these posts and pasting them in a new thread.

To clarify, discussion of Walter's blog post is off-topic in this
thread. If you want to provide feedback on the blog post, the
place to do so is in the thread where I announced it (as is often
the case) or in a new thread in General. Just not here.

If you want to discuss how DIP 1021 relates to the topic of the
blog post to clarify your understanding of the DIP, this review
thread is fine.

If you want to discuss if we should discuss things in the
announce forum, please start a new thread!

I only ask this because it can be time-consuming to read through
long review threads trying to pick out the relevant information
for my review summary. And for anyone coming to the review thread
later, they shouldn't have to wade through irrelevant discussion
to get to the good stuff.

Thanks!

So. Back on topic.