DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Community Review Round 1

Exil Exil at gmall.com
Wed Jul 17 12:30:34 UTC 2019

What is even being reviewed here? The DIP isn't ready for review
obviously. It doesn't specify or define how anything is going to
work, there is nothing to review!

It prompts replies like this:

On Wednesday, 17 July 2019 at 01:49:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/16/2019 2:25 PM, Elronnd wrote:
>> It seems like a bit of an intractable problem to detect.
>
> Not really. It's doable.

Okay, how is it doable, explain how it will be doable. I feel
like any explanation that is given by the author won't be
thoroughly thought out and will contain obvious holes in the
explanation. The blog post mentions @live, there's nothing about
that in the DIP. Not sure if you can even call this a "review". I
feel this is just another DIP that will be rushed through to the
finish line where it will be accepted irregardless of the DIP.

Anyways. There's no examples. No possible workarounds. Missing
details for basically everything.

Per the description of the DIP:

> The checks would only be enforced for @safe code.

Yet the rationale only gives an example using C's free(). Which
can't be used in @safe.