[GSoC] Header Generation for C/C++

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Wed Jul 17 14:26:11 UTC 2019

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 15:50, Seb via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 17 July 2019 at 13:35:35 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> >
> > But apart from the construction (and possible destruction) of
> > all frontend types, there shouldn't be anything duplicated.
> >
> > Did you consider cross compiler generation?
>
> Motivations for doing it inside DMD instead of a separate library:
>
> - DMD frontend isn't stable (AST nodes are often changed)
> - DMD frontend isn't SemVer-tagged (so you can only rely on
> ~master)
> - people expressed a lot of interest in this being integrated
> directly
> - easier bootstrapping (though not really a concern if we require
> the generated headers to be checked into the dmd repository)

It doesn't make bootstrapping easier, as you will be starting from a
base where either:
1. There is no D compiler
2. The D compiler does not understand -HC

Having a standalone application means you only need to worry about (1)
in order to be able to generate headers to then build the D compiler.

--
Iain