Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 19 00:12:06 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 18 July 2019 at 23:49:00 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:

> I think D could meet Microsoft's needs, but only if they forked
> it and made some fundamental changes to remove the technical
> debt, remove some of the "weird sh**"
> (https://youtu.be/TkNep5zHWNw?t=1378), and a number of other
> things we all could list to make using D a more professional
> experience.

... and D could complete better with Rust if it had
@safe-by-default and statically-check ownership/borrowing
mechanism as Walter recently proposed.

I think there is something that Microsoft is overlooking with D.
In the last 2 paragraphs of the blog post they say that
programmers should be using managed languages like C#|F# whenever
possible, but use Rust when the prior don't scale.

D is unique from Rust and C# in that is scales both up and down.
So, Microsoft is missing an opportunity to have one language for
all use cases.  But I still think D has to do something about the
technical debt and other "weird sh**" to make it viable.

Mike