Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

drug drug2004 at bk.ru
Fri Jul 19 08:12:54 UTC 2019

19.07.2019 4:12, H. S. Teoh пишет:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 12:12:06AM +0000, Mike Franklin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 July 2019 at 23:49:00 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
>>
>>> I think D could meet Microsoft's needs, but only if they forked it
>>> and made some fundamental changes to remove the technical debt,
>>> remove some of the "weird sh**"
>>> (https://youtu.be/TkNep5zHWNw?t=1378), and a number of other things
>>> we all could list to make using D a more professional experience.
> [...]
>> D is unique from Rust and C# in that is scales both up and down.  So,
>> Microsoft is missing an opportunity to have one language for all use
>> cases.  But I still think D has to do something about the technical
>> debt and other "weird sh**" to make it viable.
> [...]
>
> Yeah, D has a really beautiful, marvelous core that works really well
> and addresses safety concerns, productivity, scalability, and
> meta-programming needs.  But outside this core is a bunch of "weird
> sh**", as the above video aptly puts it, of poorly-interacting corner
> cases, unexpected (often legacy) behaviours, and incompletely- or
> poorly- implemented features.  These technical debts greatly detract
> from D's overall value, yet there is no easy way to fix them without
> causing massive breakage of existing D code (or other D features).
>
> It's sad, but it's reminiscient of the bad ole days when C++ shops would
> dictate, via convention/policy to use only a certain, sane(r) subset of
> C++ while avoiding the nastier parts.  The parts of the language to be
> avoided is much smaller in D than in C++, but still, it's there, and
> it detracts from the overall D experience.

Well, I wouldn't afraid anything while D has this great community, first
of all. No worries! Everything has its advantages and disadvantages. I
totally agree to Andrei that Rust has "a disharmonic personality"
(https://www.quora.com/Which-language-has-the-brightest-future-in-replacement-of-C-between-D-Go-and-Rust-And-Why/answer/Andrei-Alexandrescu).
For example you can read a post of one of active Rust user about Rust
drawback(s) he has encountered in a real project:
http://way-cooler.org/blog/2019/04/29/rewriting-way-cooler-in-c.html
So let's continue and everything will be ok!