Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jul 19 22:34:42 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:20:04PM +0000, XavierAP via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 19 July 2019 at 21:32:56 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 09:03:50PM +0000, XavierAP via Digitalmars-d
> > wrote: [...]
[...]
> > I think it's a big assumption that adoption would make fixing weird
> > sh*t easier.  It could be that it's inherently hard, given the
> > current language and implementation, and higher adoption isn't going
> > to help with that.
>
> At least in the sense that it would make much more manpower available.
> There's lots of issues identified (even avoiding breaking changes
> conservatively as Bachmeier mentions) that aren't solved because no
> one's working on them.

Well, of course there are smaller issues that could use more manpower to
fix. But I was referring to the fundamental issues (the "weird sh*t"
that Amaury refers to in the video).  I don't think many of them can be
fixed without either breaking existing code, or doing some precision
surgery on the language / implementation. Adding more manpower to it may
not change this fact (cf. The Mythical Man-Month).

Why waste time reinventing the wheel, when you could be reinventing the engine? -- Damian Conway